Everyone loves a good sandwich. That’s a basic fact of human life, right?
One of my favorite discoveries in England has been halloumi cheese. The cheese is Cypriot, of course, but it’s readily available here and when I was in the US I’d never heard of anyone eating it.
Even in England I think halloumi doesn’t get the attention it deserves. It is far and away one of my favorite snacks and sandwich fillings.
If you’ve never tried it, simply slice it and heat it on medium-high heat until each side is browned. It’s salty and chewy and unlike any cheese you’ll ever try. So addictive!
This sandwich is stuffed with whole foods and is a simple, quick lunch or dinner.
I used a half-baked baguette and spread pesto thinly on the bottom half. I generally don’t use a lot because pesto can have a strong flavor and I didn’t want it to overwhelm the other flavors.
I topped it with:
– Sliced, grilled (in a pan) halloumi
– Thinly sliced red onion (tip: soak red onion slices in a bowl of water for a few minutes to keep the flavor but take the edge off their bite)
– Pitted and halved kalamata olives
– Fresh baby spinach leaves, washed and patted dry
– Sun-dried tomatoes with a little of the jar’s oil drizzled over the rest of the ingredients
That’s it! I’ve also tried this sandwich with a fresh ball of mozzarella sliced and layered in place of the halloumi and it’s just as good, if not better!